Jacksonville Cheap Eats Examiner Jacksonville restaurants

Friday, September 30, 2011

Arabic coffee at Casbah Cafe

Last night on a spontaneous whim, Eric & I decided to do date night at Casbah Cafe, known for their hookahs, exotic beers, wines, teas, and coffees, and belly dancing on the weekends.  First time there, sad, I know, I have lived here over 10 years and have never been to this place. 

I had read their food was pretty good (many options for traditional Mediterranean items), but as we had already eaten dinner, we opted just for coffee and dessert.  Eric ordered the organic locally grown Bold Bean coffee, and I was excited to try their Arabic coffee sweetened, as I have heard how delicious it is with its spices like cardamom and aromatic fragrace (not to mention it seemed sexy as hell to me).  Dessert offerings included carrot cake, baklava, or a vanilla cake with strawberry icing. Baklava was the dessert of choice, as I thought the nutty sweetness of the dessert and flakiness of the pastry would go very well with my Arabic coffee.

Warning: Arabic coffee, if made traditionally, takes time; Eric's coffee was brought out quickly but expect a wait to enjoy properly brewed Arabic coffee.  It was worth the wait.  Served in a beautiful gold container perched on a tray with creamer and a small expresso size cup with a small handle and matching gold detail, the fragrance of the spices (could swear it was cardamom) was exotic and lovely.  On a starlit night with the cool fall-is-coming breezes and great conversation to catch up with my hubby, we sipped and sat, enjoying the simplicity of the moment.  Baklava was tender, flaky and simply delicious; and perfect with our coffees. Eric loved my drink the best, and who can blame him? It was far more complex and interesting than simply organic coffee, although we both enjoyed his coffee as well.  I am now a huge fan of Arabic coffee (or Turkish coffee, I'll be trying their Turkaccino soon). 

No comments:

Post a Comment


Blog Archive