Jacksonville Cheap Eats Examiner Jacksonville restaurants

Monday, May 16, 2011

Sanibel's famous "Mermaid" orange crunch cake and Eric's BBQ

This spring has been chock full of celebration, 1) to celebrate our 10th wedding anniversary by renewing our vows and 2) to celebrate our daughter's First Communion (we were so proud yet amazed how fast time flies and how our little ones are growing like weeds!).  With celebrations, thankfully, comes CAKE!! Lots of cake, and being the dessert freak I am, I was incredibly happy to eat Sanibel's famous "mermaid" cake, ie orange crunch and Oreo (a huge hit). 

Both cakes can be purchased at the Bubble Room in Captiva Island or Baileys General Store bakery in Sanibel, Florida.  I, of course, ordered both, much to the delight of our guests.  Both were moist, rich, yet delicious; we decorated the chocolate seashells ourselves with edible pearl dust.  Easy and fun.

Okay, now you know my alltime favorite drink: mojitos! Minty, fresh, limey, slightly sweet - so, so good.

Just a cool hair shot - BUT check out my yummy conch soup.  If you get a chance to go to Sanibel/Captiva Island, you must check out Doc Sanibels and try their banana leaf snapper, fried calamari, fish tacos, and even their pork chops or steak.  Other recommendations are Island Cow and the Holy Smokes BBQ, both also in the area.  I loved the orange crunch cake so much, I baked it myself for Bella's First Communion:
Not bad, although it was more lemony than orangey flavor.  The 4 sticks of butter probably made it taste really good - and the cream cheese frosting.  I'll be exercising all week burning this cake off, but it was worth it!  Forgot to mention Eric's BBQ pork ribs, marinated in a concoction of plum sauce, fish sauce, brown sugar, honey, and a load of minced garlic and ginger, grilled to perfection. I get hungry just thinking about it.

No comments:

Post a Comment


Blog Archive