Jacksonville Cheap Eats Examiner Jacksonville restaurants

Monday, April 4, 2011

Alhambra Theatre's food is much improved but don't expect Matthew's restaurant food

I was fortunate to be able to spend time with great friends a few weekends ago to watch Hairspray and finally eat the buffet food that used to have a sad reputation of being almost inedible.  I can safely say that not only was the show fantastic (what a great, young, energetic cast!), but the food has been MUCH improved since Chef Matthew Madure revamped the menu and the food preparation.  Renovations also improved overall appearance (although carpet is still worn). 

Menu changes with each new show (a nice change as former patrons complained that the menu rarely changed in years past) so I was able to try the eggplant rotini, Italian breaded chicken, penne with marinara sauce, green beans with tarragon butter, and carved roast beef with au jus (I usually soak it completely).  While green beans out of a can does nothing to impress me, the eggplant rotini was quite tasty, with the right amount of cheesy goodness, and my roast beef was tender and flavorful.  Penne was average, but the chocolate mousse was light and airy, yet full of chocolate flavor.  I loved their cocktail (name escapes me) that tasted like a lovely melted cherry lollipop but did not scream sugar.  No room for the cinnamon raisin bread pudding, but my friends enjoyed it thoroughly.  Should have grabbed some.

I was not able to make it to Caps on the Water; instead, we went to Blue Crab Crabhouse in Mandarin.  My full review of that restaurant including pics can be found here.  With summer fast approaching, I'll be sure to try as many outdoor seafood dives and beach haunts as much as possible! All in the name of eating and writing about food. 

No comments:

Post a Comment


Blog Archive