Jacksonville Cheap Eats Examiner Jacksonville restaurants

Tuesday, July 20, 2010

World Food Mart Food Corner groceries and cheap lunch, my kind of place

I love, love a place with great food but even better when my entire meal is under $5.00. Yes, it is possible at World Food Mart Food Corner off Beach Boulevard.

Hungry for a workday lunch with Eric, we venture to a slightly shabby area near downtown. Menus are written in Korean and English (thankfully), and I ordered the chicken teriyaki lunch special (not so adventurous, I know) that came with rice, sushi, fried dumplings, pickled radish, cabbage, and chicken - all for $4.95 in a lovely lunchbox. Cold Korean self service tea is free, but warning: this is not your average sweet tea, it's traditional almost bitter tasting tea that is strangely refreshing. The tea is an acquired taste. Eric orders a similar lunchbox but with bulgoki (beef barbecue). Korean lady cook was a dear one; if you want more rice, just ask for more at no charge(a very important option for rice-ravenous Asians).

Both meals were delicious and satisfying, and I love, love the balance of protein, rice, and vegetables. Other menu items range from $5.00 and up, but I do not see anything over $10.00. My kind of place.

Next was Crazy Eggs - Bella & I had a quick pancake breakfast this morning before summer camp. Pancakes were light, fluffy, and good although I think Original Pancake House pancakes were better. I need to return for waffles and chicken dumplings next to check out more menu items before a full review on Examiner.com though.

Next review

No comments:

Post a Comment


Blog Archive